Originally Posted By: nickbuol
In my attempt to find out exactly how big the screen was at the New Roc City Regal, I found the following link that "crossed it out" as being a "real" IMAX. Hmmm.... Everything else said that it was good to go for the really large screen...

http://diaramble.com/Post/IMAX/171/Do-not-fall-for-lieMAX-The-fake-IMAX

Since there are dozens of reports that it is the large format IMAX, then I'll stay excited about it. smile

I'm a litle confused. Does the author of the above linked article have the terminology correct? He says the theaters on his list are the only "real IMax" theaters. The list includes the theater at the Great Lakes Science Center here in Cleveland.

However, this theater is known as an OMNIMAX theater which shows films shot in IMAX. It has an enormous curved (domed) screen (79-foot-diameter, tilted, domed screen, six-stories-high) rather than the normal flat screen. It virtually fills your entire field of view.

I have seen several movies at this theater and the experience is breathtaking. BUT! I have never seen a conventional, Hollywood movie shown at our OMNIMAX. The current lineup comprises films which are documentary in nature, only 45 minutes in length, and are probably not shown at your local multiplex. By the same token, you probably won't be seeing Indiana Jones or Batman at the Cleveland OMNIMAX. The same might be true for the other theaters on the list, but I cannot say. Those films will be shown at IMAX theaters, with smaller, flat screens, rather than Omnimax theaters.

If those films are shot in 70mm IMAX, but shown on a smaller, flat screen, is it not a bit unfair to label them as "fake?"

Where is Craig (Spiffnme) when you need him???????

(For the uninitiated, Craig is a forum member who used to work for IMAX. During his nearly twelve years with the company he supervised the film recording of over 50 IMAX releases, including The Dark Knight, Avatar, and the Harry Potter series.)

EDIT: I see that the Dark Knight Rises WILL be shown at a few of the domed theaters. Now THAT would be cool.

Last edited by Ajax; 09/10/12 01:27 PM. Reason: Correction

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton