Originally Posted By: DanielBMe
Hi guys,

I have a question on my QS4’s. I have two for my surrounds. I feel I’m not really getting much rear sound or envelopment from them. Currently, from my center seat, one sits about 4 to 5ft to the right of me and about 3-4 ft above ear level and the other speaker sits about 6 ft to the left and 3-4 ft above ear level. I did calibrate the distance and level with my 3808’s audyssey. I even bumped of the level a bit. I’m wondering if the distance is too far? Would QS8’s be any better or would on wall M2’s or M3's be better? The speakers are mounted at a 45degree angle behind me from the center seat…if that makes sense.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Quite frankly, when it comes to sound balance of the speakers and making sure it is as accurate as possible, I would tend to use an external test disc played through my player along with an SPL meter. This gives one a somewhat more accurate presentation of what is actually coming out of the movie or for that matter, any disc. Obviously the surrounds(rear or sides) should not be overwhelming but, when necessary and in some, but not all movies, the sound should be enveloping.

From my own experience with three different AVR's I always found, in general, the surround speakers measured through the test tones from the AVR were always about one to one and a half db quieter than they should be compared to the tones coming from an external disc.

If you can, try this and make a comparison. It also could be the Audyssey is rolling off some of the highs and/or adjusting some of the frequencies which would also dampen what you may or may not be hearing. Calibration systems like Audyssey don't necessarily work well in every instance and in every room and in some cases, can make things worse.