Originally Posted By: JohnK
Even in Maple the amplification process has no capability to change the characteristics mentioned if other factors, especially sound level, are held constant. Amplifiers make the sound louder. That's it. No magic.

I hear what you're saying John... and it's true, somewhat. It applies to ideal/perfect amps, which indeed should not alter sound in any way. I guess that's the difficulty when comparing 2 really good, hi-end amps. But unfortunately amps are not created equally; otherwise, why are we even bothering with anything more than a cheap receiver from Best Buy? grin

Originally Posted By: cohesion
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for backing me up! I actually understand that the Emotiva monoblocks are quite good. It would be interesting to compare to the ADA1500.

Actually I'm in Maple too. Perhaps we should arrange a mutual listening swap? I should have my LFRs working soon too...

I am very interested in some auditioning; it would be very exciting comparing the ADA1500 with the Emotiva stuff.
Needless to say, I want to hear the LFRs; they should be amazing.
Just say the word, and we can certainly arrange something.

John, I would be honoured to have you for some auditioning as well, a beer or a coffee, and discuss further. I am truly interested in why do you believe there is no difference in sound between amplifiers.

As it happens, not long ago I had a chance to review two amps in the same class: Emotiva XPA-5 and ATI 1504 (ATI: Amplifier Technologies Inc. makes amps for Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio, Theta Digital, B&K, etc, owning the later two.)
You can read about my findings here:
The Emotiva Lounge - XPA-5 vs ATI 1504

Last edited by AdrianD; 11/01/12 02:43 AM.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp