Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I was not satisfied with the way my Denon sounded vs the Pioneer Elite that it replaced, until I went with the one position mic calibration option, skipping mic positions 2 and up. Now I can't tell the difference.

I should've been more careful with my posts... I'm sorry; instead of using blanket statements like all amps are different, I should've pointed out that:

1. In an ideal amp world yes... they all should sound exactly the same as the purpose of an amp is simply to amplify the sound. However, I don't believe we are at that point yet.

2. Amps/Receivers in the same class (or in very close classes) are very difficult to tell apart, or impossible in some/most cases.

Originally Posted By: Murph
If you are using calibration on either, then it is not a true comparison as you are manipulating the sound from the baseline.
I get your point though. Just pointing that out for the OP.

In the end, all we really need to be is happy.

And you are correct Sir... on both accounts; indeed, whatever makes you happy is a LOT more important than what someone else says, numbers, charts, tests etc.

I also believe that listening to music is far more important than what equipment is used, as well as that there many other components that are more important in terms of SQ than an amp in a stereo chain.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp