Originally Posted By: mrgreg
. . .
Does anyone else who has the EP500 or above find it to be too much for most music? I have another sub(DEF Tech) that I usually use when listening to music, I feel like I get a better appreciation for M80s with less over the top bass! Just reserve the EP500 for movies!

Hi megreg,
I'm a very lucky guy with four (4) Axiom EP800 subwoofers in my dedicated Axiom home theatre room. My aray of subwwofers delivers a stellar musical performance. It is true that having four subwoofers makes integration with my main Axiom M80s and dual VP180s a breeze. I assure you that you could be able to get a very satisfactory and highly musical performance from your single Axiom EP500 as well. I started my Axiom adventure with a single Axiom EP500 sub. The key is to take the necessary time and action to maximize integration with your main speakers. Your first and most inportant step is to find its optimal location. Axiom offers a video featuring Alan which will facilitates this operation.
Subwoofer crawl

Then the subwoofer volume level should be done using musical material. Depending on your taste for bass content you might feel the need to increase the volume level for movie material. The issue for the right and appropriate bass level for movies is that there is no reference point. Some listeners will find bass lacking while others find it overwhelming and, at the same time for the remaining ones, it is perfect.

jc