Originally Posted By: nickbuol
The vendor web sites and "electrician" forums that came up in the google search say otherwise and encourage the use of internal sure protectors as well as the whole house. They don't sell surge protector strips, so they aren't making any money with that statement. They still say that the whole house is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more important though.

The video I linked above talks a little about using both types of surge protection near the end of it. That mirrors what other information I found.

You are right though. Most people buy a "power strip" thinking that it is a "surge protector" and those are completely different and the price reflects that.

Whole house surge protection is the only importance in terms of surge protection. Protection to surges is dissipating the energy to outside ground harmlessly. Not even knowing a surge occurred. This is what a whole-house protector does. Destructive surges come from your outside power line. Surge protection strips can't protect from the surges that are actually damaging to every single thing plugged into your wall.

Surge protection strips are nothing more than glorified extension outlets with flashy lights.

Actually you would be surprised by how many company shills promote these type of products on web forums.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne