Pewterman,

if you don't mind I'd like to chime in here. This might get long.

1 - yamaha vs. m3 for volume levels. Axioms are extremely efficient speakers (little power gives louder volume). However, your Yamaha's might be even more efficient. Or, you may be confusing dB level with loud bass. You yammy's do have an 8inch woofer just for bass. But trust me, the M3's require little power to give good volume. Some people use 3 watt tube amps and it fills the room.

2 - You're extremely used to the yammy sound. I assume you had them for over a decade and listened to EVERYTHING on them? Try walking around to local audio stores and listen to very expensive and lesser expensive speakers on very well recorded material. Then try the same at home. AFter 2 or 3 weeks of listening to the M3's, you'll think your yammy's sound bad.

3 - M22 vs M3. The M22's are clearer in the midrange, are a bit more dynamic (that means they produce complicated music a bit better), play ever so slightly louder, and give a nicer soundstage than the M3's. The M3's are warmer, more laid back, give less listening fatigue, have a thicker sound for bass (the m22's are often perceived to sound thin).

4 - make sure your cables are connected properly. negative on negative, positive on positive, and please be sure that the connection is tight

5 - if your electronics are really THAT old, maybe an upgrade would help, maybe not. you could always try the m3's and someone else's house with newer stuff, just to see if it changes anything.