Originally Posted By: troyd
Casey, you seem to be forgetting the fact that the bookshelf are not reproducing the bottom end. Only need them for the 80hz and up, where they excel. The subs will take care of the bottom end.
I don't need the book shelfs to go into the lower frequencies at all.
I just want them to work where they are suppose too midrange and highs.

Not to belabour a point and this is an interesting discussion, theoretically you are correct in your assessment, however, from a practical standpoint, that is another matter. I own M22's which, at one point, I used in a L/R configuration in conjunction with Subs(I have FOUR in my A/V system). The problem I found, even setting the crossover to 80HZ, at relatively higher volumes(movies or music), the M22's strained somewhat in the lower midrange. Normal volumes were fine. In an HT capacity it was only after moving to the M60's, then later to the M80's, to my ears anyway, was this problem eliminated.

Over the years I have noticed two interesting things about the subject of bookshelf speakers. The vast majority of manufacturers(including this one), regardless of their reputation and price point, do include small speakers in their lineup, however, they usually only make up a relatively small portion of their total model package. With this in mind and considering speaker design technology at this point is quite mature, I would surmise the manufacturers here are indicating there are technological limitations in sound reproduction compared to what they can do with floor standers. Secondly, if you ever go in to a retailer that sells mid-high end speakers, particularly in this category, they generally don't present them to the customer with the idea of a nice mid-range and adding a complimentary sub. They invariably take the "Bose" approach promoting lots of bass in a small package, especially when they are asking $3-4000 for the pair. I have seen it countless times regardless of the speaker or its price. Not arguing here, just some long time observation.

It is not a new subject, however, considering the vast experience in speaker design Ian and the guys at Axiom have, it would be interesting if they chimed in on this discussion.

Last edited by casey01; 01/09/14 05:58 PM.