[rant]Yes, I am weary of the vocal gymnastics many artists exhibit to show how WONDERFUL is their singing ability. I would respectfully remind them that the Anthem is NOT about them; it is about our country (side note: to me, "country" is not synonymous with "government"). Just sing the doggone thing as it is written. IMHO, to dive up and around the melody is disrespectful.

Personally, I would rather America the Beautiful were the National Anthem, preferably sung in English for the same reason as above: respect for a national icon. I find it a more positive message and a more beautiful piece of music.

For the record, I welcome and embrace ethnic and cultural diversity in our country. I feel it is one of our great strengths. But, I am bothered but what I consider to be disrespect for our musical national icons. I feel it's the same thing as if someone ran the flag up with yellow and green stripes, and purple stars on an orange background.

Also, for the record, I am NOT in favor of making it illegal to burn the flag (just my opinion. If yours differs, I'm fine with that). Obviously it bothers me. It is another desecration of a national icon. But I don't want them to know it bothers me. Essentially it is an act of impotence. NOTHING is accomplished: nothing changes. The only thing they have to gain is the pleasure of seeing us get our panties in a knot.

My solution to the whole thing is to hand them another flag, and another, and another, and another, and keep it up until the idiot realizes that we don't care: that he is gaining nothing. The only thing they can gain is to piss us off. If we deny them that, they get zero, zip, nada.[/rant]

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton