Bob, you are almost right. I DID have the answer, but I forgot.

On a more serious note. It comes in waves that pause and start over. Two main pursuers.

First is anybody who has a supplemental Medicare to offer. They each send several iterations. They care little about you; they simply want to be the folks who bill your medical events so they can get their cut.

The second pursuers were/are a major surprise. You can't begin to marginally grasp the incredible number of folks who want to be your new best friend for.....( wait for it)....... freaking HEARING AIDS. These folks are particularly numerous and tenacious.

These pursuits began around 63/64 and continue through 66, although they have dimished a bit. I also get a wide variety of mail subject matter all designed to liberate money from a retirees bank account. These arrive 2-5 per day. My recent/new personal favorites are 1) multi-day, cross country railroad tours, although 6 foot long sleeper beds for a 6'3" guy diminishes the allure and 2) the multi-day tours of European rivers in really long boats for alot of days. One of those tours for Mr. & Mrs. Are pretty much several million $$$ per trip. AND, they also have short beds.

I laughed when I read your question because you seem to be seeing the beginnings of the same mail assault I have and am experiencing. Here is a suggestion. We recycle and it occurred to me that I was wasting time carrying mail in and then carrying it back ot to the recycle bin. So I bought a junk mail sized trash can, put it in the garage and discard the junk mail before it gets into the house.

I also amuse myself by extracting all of the reply cards/envelopes for the exciting opportunities I get and let them stack up. When I get a decent pile, I mail them all back. Blank & empty. :-)

You DIDN'T ask about the increase in phone calls. More opportunities for releasing money. With caller ID, most can be ignored. Or you can answer and start interrupting their script and asking THEM lots of questions. Generally you can chew up their time and frustrate them into hanging up. Or you can ignore the call, call the number back and leave a message for them to call you again. Repeat.

My favorite are the guys with the Indian accents who call from "Microsoft" explaining that they have determined there is a problem with my computer and they can fix it if I let them connect directly to my PC andtheyll fix it for free. Boy, how can you pass up THAT kind of opprtunity. First couple of calls, I just hung up. The next few calls, I asked if ANYONE is stupid enough to buy their BS, got abusive and told them to stop calling. Nothing slowed them down. Then I thought of Liam Neeson in "Taken". Next time they called, I thanked them and explained that the last time I wasn't able to trace their location, but should be able to complete the trace this time. I explianed I was wealthy and had alot of free time and a bad attitude. Once I had their location, i was coming for them. And their families. All I heard was. Click. Dial tone. Haven't heard from them in 3+ months. Right after the call ended, my wife came up to se why I was laughing so hard. I have too much time on my hands.