I have a 7.2 Denon AVR 891. I don't remember setting any speaker parameters manually before running the very first calibration, but that was a long time ago & my memory might be faulty. I have run numerous calibrations since I bought this AVR a couple of years ago.

When I plug in the mic & start the calibration process, the first pass polls all of the 7 channels & reports what channels it hears. I have only 2 surround speakers so in subsequent passes, it disregards the 2 that are empty & bypasses them. So in a way, it does 'sense' that speakers are active on each specific channel & those that are empty, including the sub on LFE.

After the 6th pass it shows all speakers are Small; L&R M22s 40Hz, VP160 40 Hz & QS8s 100 Hz. I then set the both 40 Hz to 60 Hz & make sure that the subs are set to LFE & 120 Hz.

So I guess what I'm asking - at what -3 Db point does is set mains to Large or is that setting only done manually by the operator?

As an aside, since I recently changed from QS4s to QS8s, Audyssey's settings were a bit puzzling. It consistently heard the previous QS4s at 90 Hz. During the first 2 calibration runs on the QS8 V4s, it heard them as 110 Hz. That didn't make me happy so I ran the first half hour of 'War of the Worlds' to give them a good workout. Now it hears them at 100 Hz. Maybe there is something to this 'break in' thing & it might get lower still with more time on them, ha!

TAM