Exciting news, with Dolby's Atmos being announced for the likes of Onkyo, Denon, etc.

Upon hearing this news, I am wondering if I will need to re-think my speaker choice and placement options.

Here is my system in its current 7.2 channel configuration.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showpic&id=1461

The M60's were added in place of the old M22s (which had been on a pair of the FMS-16 stands). My M22s are currently sitting (not connected) atop of the right and left oak towers of my entertainment center.

My current plan is to upgrade to either the Denon X7200 AVR once it becomes available, with the fallback of the Denon X5200 if I find the X7200 to be out of my range.

My M22s will be placed back onto their stands and positioned as "width" channels (with the right hand side to be moved in behind the M60 when not in use as the basement stairs come down to the right of the door).

I had planned to create a pair of matching oak mounts (to the top front of the towers) for a pair of QS8s which were to be used as a height channel.

Now I am thinking that placement of the QS8s will not be optimal for use as an overhead "Atmos" channel. I know that the QS8s will do well at dispersing the audio, but am unsure as to how they will sound being so close to the front soundstage.

I am hesitant in cutting or modifying my acoustically absorbent ceiling, as running an extra pair of cables through the heavily insulated ceiling cavity above will be nearly impossible, and the ceiling is not a "typical" drop-ceiling providing space enough to slide up/over tiles as needed. It is "CeilingMax" and it only allows about 1.5" of space between the tiles and the joists above them.

Ideas? I am currently considering fabrication of a pair of forward protruding "outriggers" (for lack of a better term), which can mount to the top of the towers and angle up and forward to mount the QS8s 3-4 feet forward of the main speakers. It may look ...interesting.

I am totally open to ideas or opinions that do not involve me dismantling my ceiling or entertainment rack to mount speakers and run cables. ;-)

Last edited by SpenceJT2003; 06/30/14 03:16 PM.

Epic 60 - 350 7.1
75" Samsung JU7100
Marantz SR7009
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Dish ViP722K