Well now i have a clear picture of your setup Prem. You have some nice components there.
I understand you level of output statement now as well and i would have to say the 'output' that is dependant on the subwoofer is as you say, a very personal choice. I'm not a big sub-sonic noise fan but i do like a rumble with truly big explosions and the low hum of a pipe organ. I chose the EP350 just because i could afford it but i was realistically looking at the EP175 originally. I would hazard a guess that you enjoy the larger bass 'volume' per se and hence may again, as you mention, prefer to actually have a larger subwoofer (or more than one) to give you that effect you desire.

I have yet to turn the sub volume knob on the EP350 above the 25% mark. Any louder and, as i said earlier, it will blow out my basement window. Perhaps the spec sheet was more of a warning for ear drum protection. Who knows.

Your testing of dvd vs another dvd or cd player is exactly what i've been doing with 4 units over the past 2 weeks until i finally settled on one dvd player. I think i've posted some of my thoughts somewhere recently on this but would love to hear your results as well.

As for the design flaw, ask Ian or Alan about that subject. Ian will be able to tell you best the answer you seek regarding frequency issues with the QS8s since he designs them. I have a feeling he does rather extensive testing on his speakers across all ranges but bring this up with him. I'm sure he will be glad to answer your queries. It's not often you get to converse directly with the speaker designer/owner of a company.

In regard to your music tested, it is definitely something that i may have a hard time finding locally. You can always try the sound on a different set of speakers as well to again remove the source as the potential problem. There is the possibility that the sound from the surrounds is due to the playback of that music in the surround setting. I would be mildly surprised if the music truly just hit some notes that the speakers could not handle.
Does this occur with any other music or movies at all? Or just that one single piece?
Most of my testing music was selected for quality recordings, presence of clear vocals, presence of clear mid range sounds, single and mutliple instruments, low bass and sub-sonic bass as well as screaming treble. I've done my best to stress the speaker ranges during my in house testing before i settled on the Axioms. I can't say that anything in the upper ranges bothered my QS8s.
There are actual sound range test cds that you can buy however. This may be another option in narrowing down that range of sound you think the QS8s seem to fail upon playing.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/04/02 09:59 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."