A dying display has opened the possibility of a true home theater setup to me. The last few years has brought a huge improvement to projectors including those available at bargain basement prices that make even a cheap ass bugger frugal person like me sit up and take notice.

Today I was able to see an Epson 8350 (very similar to the BenQ W1070 I can afford) in action today and wow, was I impressed. While it did not deliver inky blacks of a projector like the Panny AE8000, they were quite good: better than the blacks on my dying RPTV.

I was even impressed by the image in ambient light. Watching the Leafs lose their Sunday game again upgraded the team from plain aweful to awesomely aweful and quite watchable on a 106" screen. grin

The screen, at $700, was of 'cheap' Chinese manufacture and showed a little hotspotting on sceens with mostly white, but I could probably get used to that. On most sceens the image was very good.

I thought I knew what layout and screen type I wanted, but spending time in that demo room talking to the dealer has made me rethink my possibilities. I'll post up my current layout and point out the three options I have along with a bunch of questions. I'm sure you guys will guide me to the right choice.

The plan is to clean up the room, reorganize it and do the install in time for Christmas. Jingle bells... smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!