I find even with correctly burning coals I still get a small smoke ring on meat. Not a strong smoke taste at all, but just a hint that I find really makes a difference.

Good point about the foil... although I was actually trying to make the opposite point, that if you don't care for that hint o' smoke they you might as well go for a gas bbq (which is really convenient until you run out of gas).

Agree completely about propane bbqs not holding temperature, but that starts to change when you get into the heavier ones, same as with ceramic cookers. In the Genesis or similar (particularly the Canada-only ones with heavier grill rods, presumably to cope with road salt) there's a lot of steel under and around the food to hold heat.

BTW in case I haven't made it clear, I do agree completely that a heavy ceramic cooker is probably as good as it gets for serious cooking, particularly when you need to maintain temps in winter or rain -- if I was serious I would probably replace the Performer with a BGE and add a gas bbq for those "run out in the rain/snow/bugs and grill a couple of <whatevers>" times (or or the occasional big GTG when there's too much food to fit on a BGE small enough to make sense the rest of the time, even with every extender & stacker grill in the BGE catalog).

Today I have snow and mosquitoes (it's warm enough to run the snowblower in t-shirt/shorts/flip-flops). Yay Canada.

Last edited by bridgman; 02/07/15 10:20 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8