The size of the room pretty much dictates what can be put where. The only parts that actually have any chance of moving around is if/when I buy some real subs for the room.

The cost of running the pcv is minimal, but you need to figure out what makes sense. When it comes to the ATMOS thing.. I don't know if this is really a tech that I want to consider. There is no way right now that I can look into putting speakers in the ceiling, and considering that is the point that sounds reaches the upstairs rooms. Through the walls makes no real difference for me as I am in the basement.

My thought was to no even bother putting in pot lights, but rather going with a solid double layer gyprock ceiling with no holes in it, and instead for lighting going with that flex strip LED lighting that runs on 12V and have it wrap around the outside of the room perimeter. That will light up the ceiling space to give even light cast across the room without any holes for sound to travel up.

Now if I did ever get into ATMOS or more likely what DTS develops, I will have 4 channels of speaker wire running for the hight speakers already, and it's just a case of mounting something like the wall mount M2's or M3's and surface mount them to the ceiling. Then you can put the wire for them surface mount in those neat plastic tracks from the front and back wall connectors.

I was planning on having some form of ceiling sound treatment anyways so the speakers could blend in with those.

The really hard part of trying to fit actual speakers into the ceiling is knowing what is where behind the plaster. Short of a good map and measurements along with some digital photographs it's good luck for something in the future. In short unless you are installing them now when it's going up, then it's just not likely to happen. I have a 100 amp line through one side of the ceiling, and 2 natural gas lines that need to be worried about. Then there is all the whole house worth of electrical cables in a scattered array. Surface mount gives you easy access to place speakers just about anywhere. With a double layer you can use a few of those ez-ancor drywall screws and have more than enough strength to hold those speakers.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5