Originally Posted By: CLo
Thanks Matt.

I'm sure the answer is not a short one but how do I sort through these endless amplifier choices and find "true clean power". I figure there has to be method to comparing amps. For starters, like the suggestion above, how do I assess the "cleanness" of the QSC-GX5. The stats look pretty impressive to me but what am I missing? I'm a very scientific person so I'm convinced there is a way to get make a better comparison.

Clo, being a scientist myself, i tried some instantaneous A/B switching comparisons between a few receivers and amps (including a tube amp) years ago. This was the most objective way to hear for myself any significant differences among these amp units.
Final conclusion was that if any audible differences exist, they could not be reliably detected.

Specs will certainly help with some comparisons such as max. power output, ohm rating, etc., however as JohnK often points out, an amp should not impart any sound quality that differs from the source. They should only reproduce and amplify the sound signal exactly as it is received. Most competently built amps will do just that.

The concept of 'clean' sound relates more to the subjective reasoning provided by those who judge with their eyes (whether they know it or not).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."