Originally Posted By Worfzara
Is anyone using their Xbox One as their Blu-Ray player? Have you done any A/B testing with other players (cheap or expensive)? What are the pros and cons of using a gaming system for this?

Thanks

The video quality is very good. I can't tell any difference between the PS4, Panasonic BD 55 etc. Load times are excellent as well and A LOT faster than the older BD 55 (to be expected)

The only issue (and it's a big one) is that it doesn't bitstream the Dolby and DTS HD codecs so I don't use it as a blu-ray player especially if I want to watch a movie in Dolby Atmos. The PS4 Blu-ray app has the ability to bitstream all formats, I don't see any options on the Xbox One except to bitstream regular dolby or DTS. The best and only real option under HDMI audio settings is the 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed setting depending on your setup.

For the PS4 I use LPCM in it's main menu and in the Blu-ray app bitstream is selected. For instance when I play a game it's LPCM and when I watch a DA movie for instance it will say Dolby Atmos on the receiver display.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne