Yup. I agree. I just don't know how that is done. I simply answered the question as to how the receiver/processor knows what the speaker configuration is (wides, heights, 5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.2, whatever).

I am sure that some of it comes into play with the basic room calibration done with the microphone that most units include where it gets the distances, but while that works fine for speakers in the same plane (like 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1 using wides), it doesn't say if that overhead speaker that it detects as 7 feet away is straight overhead in a room with 10 foot ceilings, or out in front of the listening position in a room with 8 foot ceilings.

If I had overhead speakers when I had that receiver, maybe it would have done some measuring my sending different sounds to multiple speakers to try and triangulate some level of relative space, or maybe it would have asked me how high my ceiling was, I don't know. But yes, I agree 100% that there should be, and maybe is, some way that the receiver/processor knows your speaker layout with more accuracy to account for the overhead speakers. I just didn't want to try to rig some crazy thing up to put speakers up on my ceiling for a few days in the middle of the Christmas/New Years craziness. Ok, I WANTED to, but didn't have enough time and didn't know how I would rig it up. LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020