I saw your email to me Matt, and can respond when I am at the hotel tonight (work now blocks personal email).

I am a FIRM believer in the technical docs and info from Dolby, DTS, and the experts that offer their knowledge online (real experts working towards the optimal solutions, not just people giving their opinions) so I will stick with monopole for Atmos/DTS:X over any bi/di/quad-pole speaker.

I know that some people have used QS8s for Atmos surrounds, and monopole for overhead and like the sound that it gives, but when trying to make an accurate localization of sounds, you need some level of "pinpoint" accuracy that monopole offers vs. the "spray" effect of traditional 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

The QS speakers are awesome speakers. I went from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup with four QS8s when I built out my current theater just a few years ago. It was amazing, but when I was planning for Atmos after CEDIA 2014, I knew that if I was going to make the jump, I wanted it to be as good as possible, which meant no QS8s and I needed monopole speakers for surrounds.

I then bought four on-wall M3s and put them up in place of the QS8s and I figured that if I timed things right, I could test out the QS8s for surrounds and use the M3s for overhead speakers to see if it was even close to what I had heard at CEDIA 2014.

Then CEDIA 2015 hit and it just reaffirmed that I wanted monopole speakers only. More people were installing Atmos, it was no longer "just announced" technology, but there were a lot of pieces of information from real world installers, manufacturers, and technology experts. So I traded in the QS8s and got four more M3s.

I've just started playing around with my Anthem MRX-1120 and it showed up Monday late afternoon and I flew to Dallas, TX for work on Tuesday morning. I am hoping to have more time to play with it and hear the full potential of Atmos in my theater space, but even without everything fully set up, it really sounds amazing.

I picked the M3s because M22s were larger and pricier for surrounds (approaching $600 more vs eight M3s), plus I wanted the 6.5" woofer that the M3 offered.

I am a firm believer also that the monopoles can "push" sound further *into* a room than the QS speakers (which spray sound along the wall for the most part), and that is needed for better object imaging, so I am not sure how to vote. I would pick either M3 or M22 for you, but not sure which one makes the best sense for you, your money, etc.

Farewell - June 4, 2020