That's interesting John but technical enough for alot of ppl to get stuck on reading it. I think it is a bad idea to simply state that low powered amps driven into clipping will not damage speakers based on the concept of point of clipping vs. power ratings.
Since most ppl at home cannot measure exactly how much or how little power their speakers receive from their equipment, a person running a Denon 1604 should not be thinking they can jack up the volume to 100% while driving all 5 channels just b/c their speakers are rated higher than the output power of the receiver.
They WILL damage their speakers.
It happens all the time. My housemate burned out his tweeter after playing his 300W speakers at a party with his 100w/ch Pioneer amp... TWICE!!
According to this guy's article " If your speakers are capable of handling significantly more than your amplifier can produce, driving them with a clipped signal will not likely hurt them.", that shoudl never have happened. Unless i missed something here which is certainly possible after a long day of writing, reading and it is midnight, or beyond.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/17/04 05:20 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."