OK, spent the afternoon looking at tvs.

Thankfully the guy at Magnolia was very accommodating and let me look at several tvs with different settings and source inputs. I've narrowed my list down to the LG C7, Sony 940E and Sony Z9D.

Much like music listening demos, I've found that it's CRUCIAL that you're looking at images that you know. I was watching a couple of 4K blu-rays (mostly nature docs) and while there were subtle differences in all of the sets, I couldn't really say which was "correct".

That is until we popped in THE DARK KNIGHT. A film I worked on and know intimately. I KNOW what that movie is supposed to look like! It made my choice so easy. The LG C7 was spot on. Both the 940E and Z9D were overly saturated (all sets were in "cinema" mode, not vivid or standard). Even the Sony OLED was still a bit too saturated. I've found that over saturated color is the "thing" that bugs me most. I know others are bothered more by motion blur and other things, but as the vast majority of my viewing is film based blu-ray, the color needs to be spot on for me.

I've found the C7 for as little as $2700. It KILLS me that the 77" G7 is $12K. I hate compromising!