I've been thinking about incorporating some ATMOS capabilities to my 12' X 18' theater room. I do not wish to cut holes into the walls or ceiling though, as it's all sound dampened. Plus, I intend to sell the house in about 3 years when I retire and move. I don't want to deal with fixing holes when I do. I can, however, build some boxes (I think) that I could mount ceiling speakers to, then either attach them to the ceiling or hang them. My ceiling is roughly 8.5'.

I am currently using QS8's at three locations; R/L front height, positioned in the front wall R/L corners about my M80 R/L speakers, R/L side surrounds, hanging from Axiom ceiling mounts and angle down to the seats, and at the rear for R/L rear surround speakers. The rears are mounted with Axiom brackets, about 6.5' from the floor, angled down. They are about 6' apart. The great thing about the QS8's, is they are so forgiving with room placement, and that's worked well in this room for years.

Space is the limiting factor. There's also a door directly to the right of the listening area, limiting speaker placement to above the door, and the seats are only 2.5' from the rear wall. I can move them forward afoot, but that's about it. There's also a window to left of the seats.... I have a 2.4:1 screen that's 8' wide, so moving the seats forward is restricted as well.

I have been reading about ATMOS, and comments from Nick and Randy here, and it would seem that my QS8's need to go and I should use M3's or some other type of direct-radiating speaker. That kinda sucks, seeing how my Q's are all V4 in real wood finish..... And, they work so well with my restricted speaker placement.

I think the rear wall is too close for any direct-radiating spaeker to be used there, but possibly keep the Q's for rear surrounds. I can't lower them either, or people would be running into them when accessing the HT equipment that's behind the seats....

I can't really mount or place side surrounds at ear level either. Same problem, not enough space to walk between the wall and seats.

Pictures would obviously help. I've given up on Photobucket. Too bad this site doesn't host pics.

Anyone have a favorite photo-sharing site I could post pictures of my room to?