Originally Posted by rrlev
In the mean time I’m prewiring for the anticipated future.

I can't see trying for 16-channel in my space, but I'll be curious to see how others implement it.

Do you like your Marantz? I currently have a mid-range Marantz receiver, but it was always a stopgap measure when my previous Onkyo gave up the ghost. After two (or was it three?) Onkyo receivers in a row developed the HDMI board issue, it was time to try another brand. So far so good, with just the occasional quirkiness like the setup menu not coming up until I power it off and then back on, stuff like that.

Like you, I don't have 100% brand confidence with Emotiva. The prices aren't low enough to tempt me in their direction. I had an XPA-3 amp at one point (back when they were $699), but I wasn't noticing any wow factor from the extra power at the time. I actually just placed my second order from them after all of these years, for their CMX-2 Precision Common Mode AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator, to hopefully reduce the hum I'm getting with the Actives. It's supposed to be here Monday. Even if it works great, they're not going to be on my shortlist for pre-pros, but every good experience adds up.

Likewise for the Monolith, I'm not sure I'm there in trusting the Monoprice name for this kind of product. I'll of course read a lot when it feels like I'm going to pull the trigger. It's just hard having faith in newcomers versus established brands, even if Onkyo proves the years don't necessarily translate to a smooth experience.