Originally Posted by CV
Do you like your Marantz?
It's good enough. A step above it sister company Denon as they seem a little more honest on the specs (although that may not be saying much) ... like all brands you occasionally hit a bit of flakiness. I always test everything I can with-in days of receiving it (all inputs, outputs, and every signal path I can think of). I want to send it back to the store for a replacement and avoid dealing with any consumer brand warrantee service (especially if I have to mail it in)

Even with a complete checkout there's plenty to miss ... I've unfortunately hit that on my 8805 ... the first HDMI port has a heat problem. I only discovered it because I was temporarily running with an amp sitting on it and the sound cut out after an hour. Traced it to the HDMI board and only that port. Seems to work fine as long as it gets good air flow. If it fails more completely I'll just use another port. Also, Marantz is coming out with an HDMI board upgrade (which from it marketing one might have mistakenly taken as being free). If it's not too expensive I might opt for it. After that there's always digging further to see if it's a discrete part or bad solder joint ...

BTW: This is the kind of thing where you send it back and they tell you nothing is wrong and you have to send it in again. ... each time costing you money and time.