Yes, Ian did build a custom LFR180!!!! It sounds amazing. Having watched a couple of action and war movies a few things i have noticed so far. I am not sure about the right words or technical language to describe it but there is a real 3D soundstage effect here. Scenes where the actors are in a line and the front guy talks to someone way behind and he responds, you can actually feel that depth. We are currently sitting along the longer wall and so the outer seating positions are approximately 30 degrees from the center. But the sound level, clarity, and depth is still there @ those listening positions.
I have not heard other axiom centers, so maybe it is not something unique to the 180. But first, second and third impressions - this 180 is special smile
Same goes with blu ray concerts - (dave matthews, celine dion, queen, etc) with 5.1 surround. The way the center blends in with the 1100s is superb.
While i am sure the quality of recording definitely played a role in those scenes, i was more than happy with its performance on an ordinary mono track in the move Stray Dog (Akira Kurosowa movie)
Maybe it is my initial excitement with the Axioms, we will see.