These M5hps continue to impress... I had a puttering mood fall upon me and messed with recabling the M5s.

I finally got into making some cables for them out of 18/4 twisted high spec belden cable. Extremely low capacitance and inductance. Higher resistance, but I planned on parallelling them. Bought a box special for re-feeding my basement towers eventually. So I turned 18/4 to 15/2 and fed the woofer and mid/tweet with parallel cables.

FAIL.

I used a drill and twisted two runs together to make a bi-wire 15/2 star quad out of the 18/4. Instantly regretted it and went over everything to make sure something wasnt wrong..... I had removed the jumper straps. Connections were tight. Hmmmm. The runs are the same length and short at 10’.

It was indeed the cable folks. I can hear cables in this system. It wasnt subtle. Shut the front door. They were even noticably quieter. Vocals were recessed. Bass was weaker.

I swapped the 10/2 belden back in to the woofers and swapped a run of provo 16/4 in star quad to each mid/tweet (top posts). Let the head scratching begin.

I dont know what to say except wow. I’m off meds or something.....

Custom cable setup 1- 1 run to each speaker 5T00UP belden 10/2 bulk from bluejeans with jumpers in. Nice bass weight. Lived with it for a long time liked it fine.

Custom cable setup 2- 2 runs to each speaker woofers and mid/tweet in star quad (turned 2x18/4 to 15/2) (bad): No bass. Flat vocals.
[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

Custom cable setup 3- 2 runs to each speaker. Belden 5T00UP 10/2 from bluejeans to woofers and provo 16/4 in star quad to mid/tweet. Wow. Call me a convert.
[Linked Image from imgpile.com]

Highly highly recommend the super cheap, readily available provo in star quad setup. Black/Red and White/Green. I always use it, but funnily enough never bothered with it at home in a biwire setup. Or a comparison.... The 10/2 on bass and 16/4 star quad on mid/tweet is baffling.

These M5hps are an awakening. Dumbfounded.

Let the flogging begin. Disgraced. Lol.