You mention , Rock, at the start of your mini lecture, that assuming a treated room for reflections et al......

I wonder if it’s necessary to define the size of room or better yet ( my real question here) where does room measurement ( for volume cubed ) end?

For example, my main living space is 750 sq feet with 8 foot ceilings. There is a dividing wall with a large open pass thru “window “ into the kitchen. And an open staircase up to top floor to another 750 sq feet and sane stairwell down to the bottom floor.

How much of that volume cubed really matters ? Does the open spaces connected together matter in terms of needing to be pressurized by the speakers? Or do the little wall and corners and 90 degree angles cancel those out?

Does this idea of volume of space have an effect on “ clean and busy music? Am I losing out on clean as I lose “ linearity “ to these spaces?

I’m not sure if I’m explaining that very well. I understand that a larger space is desirable for good imaging and soundstage ( thanks mojo for helping me learn that ) but I would do better if I reduced the space to have lesser reflections by way of amount of volume cubed or by softer surfaces and absorption or both?

Wow. That’s a mouthful but I think you guys get the idea hopefully.

Short version: What room size and shape is ideal for full range listening with busy music and still having good imaging and soundstage and not over taxing the speakers and components into distortion.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595