KC wrote:

In reply to:

"Not to put too fine a point on the matter Alan, but are you sure you know what you're talking about? "
This to someone who has been working in the field of audio for many, many years.

"But hey, you guys are the experts. My ears must not be sensitive enough to hear the hum or the tubes degrading and silly me, what I thought sounded terrific was really just "a rich wash of harmonic distortion" and noise.

Must be the Axioms which make that poor thing sound as good as it do"

Looks like an attack to me. But hey, I'm clearly deaf and stupid (and a know it all!), so what do I know?

Enjoy using that last line in your reply to me.

Yes, you're quite right! Saying that tube amps hum and generate a "rich wash of harmonic distortion" is a pretty harsh and inaccurate characterization of modern tube amps and high end CD players with tube output sections. Passing such a harsh judgment on the AH! CDP without ever listening to one was also pretty presumptious. I thought I dealt with that unfair "attack" on tube components with substantial restraint though with a bit of irony.

Oh, you think my response was an attack?

Please, KC, you don't really think that my suggestion that Alan should maybe listen to the component before making such negative comments about it is an "attack," do you? Just sounds reasonable and fair to me.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.