Let's analyze, using published specs, if the Middle T is better than the M60v4.

1. The T goes 3Hz lower (33 vs. 36). This is assuming that the Middle T is an anechoic spec like the M60 and not in room.

2. The impedance of the T is 4 Ohms vs. 8 Ohms for the M60. Better have an amp that supports a 4 Ohm load.

3. The SPL is identical assuming the T spec is for anechoic and RMS power. Note there is no dynamic SPL given for the T. The M60 dynamic SPL can be calculated from the dynamic power and sensitivity to be 117 dB. This just means it won't melt or rip apart at that SPL.

4. The sensitivity is identical.

5. The cross-over frequencies are different. The T is 160 and 2.3KHz vs. 500 and 2 KHz for the M60. I find it really hard to believe the M60 woofer is crossed to the mid at 500Hz. I think that's a mistake. Regardless, I really have no way of knowing if crossing so high in the mid-range on the M60 detracts from the M60 compared to the T. Ditto for the tweeter.

6. The T woofer is 8" vs. the M60 6.5". This tells me nothing about performance.

7. The T cabinet encloses more volume. Likely this and the 8" woofer is why the T goes 3Hz lower.

8. The T is almost double the mass. Hmmm...might this imply less audible resonances and hence improved acoustic disappearance? Maybe.

9. Now we get to the amplitude response:
a. The T does go lower.
b. The T has a noticeable depression between 70 and 200Hz of around 4dB. I have no idea how that might affect what I hear.
c. The T listening window is flatter. Maybe that will make it brighter. I don't know.
d. Both sets of curves are well-behaved and more similar than different.

So what can I deduce from all this? Not much other than the 3Hz difference down below and beefier amp needed for the T. As for the difference in mass, there's nothing in the curves to suggest a more massive T is better.

Based on all of this, I can only conclude from the published specs, the additional money for the Middle T will not result in improved performance over the M60v4 other than the 3Hz in bass performance.

Listening may reveal more differences. But if so, where in the curves and specs are those differences reflected?

Last edited by Mojo; 05/20/22 11:04 PM.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated