I don't think Mojo 2 is adding anything as much as it's removed the weakest link in your old set up. I'm curious what that bottleneck was.

Last year, I had just bought the M5HP and an Onkyo AVR, but hooking up my 3rd gen Apple TV was a terrible audio experience. It had audible distortion through AirPlay 1 using both Toslink and HDMI. Apple TV has the capability of accessing my iCloud music catalog without streaming from MacOS or iOS, and that was equally distorted. Casting through Bluetooth 4.0 definitely sounded best with this setup.

I didn't resolve the issue until I bought a Chromecast with Google TV to replace the Apple TV. It sounds great through HDMI, at the expense of losing AirPlay and iCloud capability.

My guess was that the audio output of both optical and HDMI saturated the Onkyo's onboard DAC, causing the distortion even at low volumes (40 to 45 on the volume dial). This wasn't an issue with the onboard DAC of my Kanto Yumi.

Last edited by Hambrabi; 07/21/22 11:15 PM. Reason: It was a 3rd gen device

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"