I went from M80 to a pair of LFR1100 passive about 8 years ago, so I bought into the technology when it first hit the market. The points I make were what I found and may not be valid for everyone.

The speakers are room sensitive in when I originally got the speakers I was running them in my front room on the main floor that is 12'x14' and they sounded very impressive like you were standing in the same room as the artist performing. But 2 years later I moved them downstairs to my basement to a purpose built room 15'x18', the sound seemed to degrade to the point I thought that something was missing.

I played around with several different configurations, sound treatments but nothing seemed to fix it. Then I started to think it was something with the source. When I changed the pre-amp to an Anthem (had tried a Pioneer, Marantz & Integra prior) The Anthem was like switching on the light switch and the speakers came to life and started to give the sound that I remember from when they were upstairs.

I have since traded those speakers in for a set of the Active LFR1100 with a pair of ADA1500 amps to drive them.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5