The S&V disc was VERY helpful.
It walks the beginning user through the basic video and audio tweaks which is great (couple of things i hadn't seen before) but the best parts are the test patterns for audio and video as well as the extra samples coded for DTS, Dolby surround, etc.
It makes it nice an easy to know if your dvd and receiver settings are all working properly. My dvd player was having some issues playing DTS and Dolby surround consistently which had to do with some options in the receiver but mostly with the options in the dvd audio section. The Panasonic manual was useless in its descriptions (my conclusion as of late) and i went through everything bit by bit until i sorted out the combinations that were really required.

Having the S&V disk then was useful in helping me determine if a DTS signal was actually being received and played or not, and if my 5.1 system was being properly recognized with the Dolby surround coding as well. The video tweaks were quite basic but at least a step up from trying to adjust a new tv by eye and helpful if you cannot afford to have a pro come and calibrate your big screen tv.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."