Hi Hambrabi,

Thanks for the nice comments on previous issues of Sound&Vision (Canada) as well as the program of NRC measurement and double-blind testing, the protocol for the latter refined and overseen by Dr. Floyd Toole, who later became president of the Audio Engineering Society world-wide, in part because of his pioneering research on relating precise technical speaker measurement to subjective sound quality in double-blind tests. Many of those tests were orginally commissioned and paid for by AudioScene Canada magazine, edited by Ian G. Masters, then Sound Canada, which I edited and relaunched as Sound&Vision in 1986. Alas, there is no central data-base of all those NRC-based reviews. Being editors, and pack-rats, Ian and I do have back issues stacked in boxes . . .but unless a Canadian library logged those issues on micro-fiche or computers, they can only be manually accessed.

The CBC-Radio/TV network in Canada also commissioned a long series of listening tests at the NRC to choose new monitors for their recording and broadcasting facilities. Those reports were issued to the CBC and might be accessible.

And you are correct about the lack of correlation of price and sound quality noted over the years. I recall several Canadian brands, including Axiom, priced in the $1,000/pair range, that bested several expensive tower speakers from England, including a Kef 105, later a 107, which sold for $7200/pair Canadian.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)