As much as I respect all opinions, as the owner of a vintage auto (1955 Studebaker Champion), and previous owner of tube amps (Rogue Audio 90's, early models), I must agree that the appreciation is different. I am passionate about both, but it is much easier to find a (insert modern technology here) than find a vintage automobile. OT - I was once offered a new Mustang GT even up trade for my Stude, to which I responded " I can easily find and buy the 'Stang, but replacing my '55 would take a lot of work" - and was greated with a blank look!!

The analogy presumes that the tube amps are outdated....not engineered with the quality that todays technology can deliver. Are they based on older technology (tubes), sure, but how much has the basics of an internal combustion engine (and its inherent inefficient nature) changed over the course of time? Both have been improved by enhancing the support systems around the center piece technology.

My view is, and was, the amps sound fine. Are they better than SS? Maybe, maybe not, depending on the engineering quality of the comparison other. Did I enjoy them? Yes, and I also enjoy SS amps.

I think it is important to keep an open mind, and try to experience all that this hobby has to offer - expensive systems and components, different technologies designed into these components. I would recommend that people should experience a quality turntable, tube amps, electrostatic speakers, and in general make your own mind up on what you hear.