Maybe you're all right about this, but every time something like this comes up it just seems like we keep inching another step closer towards not having privacy.

Is it really ok that all that other email is scanned for things already? No, but we accept it, and therefore accept the next step of the computer scanning it and targeting ads, which will likely eventually lead to the next step of people being able to read it being written into the privacy terms. By then everyone will just say, well...the computer can already scan it, and people out on the Internet can grab it and read it, so what's the difference. It just seems like another small step down a road we have already gone too far down. I don't really like the targeted ad part either....I already get enough junk. I guess the logic for the step down the path of that road is, well, I already get junk mail, it might as well be targeted so it might actually be of interest.

I guess the difference to me is that stuff out there now can be read by those with the time and know how, but that doesn't mean I think it is ok...with Gmail, you are giving your approval by signing up that this is ok. (albeit only by a computer)

It's starting to look like I'm alone on this one though, so either I'm too worried about this stuff, it's not really a big deal, or everyone else has just given up already.