In reply to:

Chris Rock had a better solution: No gun control, but charge ridiculous amounts of money for ammo. Like $500 per bullet

So you can have lots of gun owners with absolutely no shooting experience? That is not a good solution. One of the problems with gun ownership is that people who own them don't know enough about them.

I have a concealed carry permit, and I own 4 handguns. I frequently go into a part of the city that is adjacent to a very high crime area, and I also frequently carry lots of money. I feel strongly that I have the right to defend myself using any means possible if I am made the victim of, or am about to be the victim of, a violent crime.

I have no problem with there being some kind of educational requirement and background check before being allowed to carry a firearm. Statistics show that wherever concealed carry laws are enacted, violent crime rates go down. The kind of people who are going to apply for a permit, take 8 hours of instruction, pay a fee, and submit to a beckground check are extremely unlikely to cause a problem.

We require people to get a license before driving a car, so why not require one in order to operate a firearm? You would have to take an approved class, and a test, as well as a background check before you could get your license, and you could just show yur license to the vendor in order to purchase a weapon. I know the NRA would say that that is the first step toward gun confiscation, but to me it makes good sense.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"