blue dragon- sounds like you are well on your way to having a real nice HT system. i was just looking at 42 inch flat screens yesterday afternoon myself.

i cant say i know alot about the sony receivers, but i do know the sony ES models have been spoken very well of. i CAN speak of the onkyp 701 because it is what i own. i like this receiver VERY much, and have no major complaints about it. i will start with the good stuff. it has pre/pro connections for adding a bigger amp at a later date. multiple inputs/outputs for hooking up any number of components. i seriously doubt you would ever use them all.. plus, there are inputs in the front for easy hookup of playstation or video recorder. it is a 7.1, 100 watt per channel demon that can play as loud and clear as you can take it. i have still yet to crank it to MAX volume cause my ears start to hurt. it has up conversion capabilities up to s-viseo. it has a great learning remote, and the owners manual is very informative and easy to read and follow. PLUS, with the 702's coming out, you can find great deals on the 701's. easily available on the web from $450-$550 bucks. i think in that price range, you will not find a more versatile and reliable receiver.

now, to be fair, the stuff i dont like about it. it doesnt do up conversion to component cables, but that ok.. it doesnt have the new Pro Logic IIx decoding, and it does get hot if worked hard.. so make sure you have it well ventilated.

thats it.. i aint saying nothin bad on the sony, but i am saying plenty of good on the 701. it has been a complete workhorse for me, and i couldnt be happier with my purchase.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??