First: a quick introduction - hi, I'm the debunker of myths, I've been away on a quest for a while, but I'm back. Ever seen Noel Lee (Monster Cables CEO) suddenly get a pee-shiver or audiotweaks.com suddenly go dim on your screen? - that's me.

Why precisely would one use hospital grade outlets for a HT setup?

Green dot outlets serve one purpose over and above the outlets you get at Home Depot/Revy/Rona/etc. - the one difference in manufacture is the grip strength. The only reason to use them in a home environment is if you have plugs routinely jumping out of outlets. The boutique types would have you believe you get better power through them... the boutique types must also live beside power stations, I can tell you from experience, that last 100 feet of wire between your breaker panel and outlet make a minimal difference in the quality of power you receive from the station 15km away.

Another laughable item (that the HT whizkids love) is the orange triangle outlet - it's a regular outlet, but it's marked for isolated ground. We've got them in the arena audio booth - it's just a way of denoting that the wiring to the plug is isolated from building ground so as to keep, say, the ice plant's huge motors from spitting EMI into our equipment. The plug itself has no magical properties, unless orange paint is magical.

Just FYI, so you can save yourself a few bucks next time.

Bren R.