Hello,

I just wanted to share this info to those owning an onkyo tx-ds797 receiver, who are experiencing a back surround not working problem (or maybe it's just only me). Anyway I finally found out the reason why, but before that let me give you the history of the problem:

A month ago, I posted here that my 6 channgel back surround is not working, the sound comes out on my left/right surround speaker instead on my back surrround speaker. Cheesero(did I got the spelling right?), informed me that maybe the problem is on my DVD player, so i tweak around the player, i set the TVS feature to off ( and maybe I did something on the receiver as well, but i don;t remember), and then all of the sudden, when I run the Dolby digital 6 channel test of S&V, the back surround spekear is now working as expected, but then my DTS-ES matrix test failed with same problem, though DTS-ES discrete works fine. After a few days, I watched John Q movie (DTS not ES but my receiver DTS-ES was set to ON instead of Auto, with this it will play the movie in DTS-ES matrix mode), and there was actually sound coming out on my back surround speaker, so I suspected that there is a software bug on the S&V cd. Then last night, my Son ask me to play Star Wars 1, while we are watching, i notice that my back surround is not working again, my wife said that our Son played around the receiver remote, so once I again I did some tweak which I did before, but this time it's no longer working. I am already thinking of borrowing my friends DVD player, just to isolate the problem, but I tried one more time, this time tweaking around the receiver settings. After a few hours of tweaking, i finally found the reason why, so in case you are insterested here's the reason:

Under the "Input Settings"(DVD)--> "Listening Mode", under Dolby D. If you select Dolby Digital, the receiver will only output the sound to your Left/RIght Surround Speaker for the Back surround even under "Surround Settings" you explicitly specified SurroundEX ON instead of Auto. In order for the 6 channel to work, I have to select THX. So now I finally got the answer to my problem, I even posted this problem to Sound and Vision forum as well as email the ONKYO support, and all I got from them were "Under Surround Settings, select L/R+B", "make sure the Zone2 settings is off", "run the receiver test tone make sure there's a sound coming out from the back speaker if not check your wiring" etc etc which are all basic settings that I know and already been done. Anyway just want to share this info to everyone.

My Apology for the long post....