Hello John
Correct. However, in my case, I bought the Denon at a garage sale for $50 (dead quiet and clean). Without the 2nd amp I'd only have 6 channels (797 is a 6 ch. amplified receiver). I picked up a pair of Mission 77ds bipole wall mounted speakers for $29 from uBid, and it was worth it to me to get the modest used outboard amp to use the Missions in 6 and 7 position. Someday I may upgrade my Merak horn center to a VP150 and my Missions to QS8s, but in the meantime, I'm styling for cheap.

Now, a word in defense of 'stylin' for cheap.' If any of us were willing to throw lots of money at the speaker problem, we wouldn't be driving Axioms. We'd have $5,000 or 7,000 speakers. For me, the game of it all is getting the best possible sound at the best possible price. I'm very price sensitive, a function of my psyche rather than the weight of my purse. I love a good deal. Axioms are a great deal. My $50 amp, a great deal as are my $29 Missions. Now, I have no doubt but that the Axiom QSx speakers are much better, but uBid let me steal a pair, what could I do?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.