Hi all,

The center detent on receiver and preamp balance controls isn't always dead accurate. And you can certainly have slight differences in gain from the left and right-channel amps that will skew the center image slightly. The drivers on Axioms are QC'd within a fraction of a dB. I doubt it's the speakers (in all the cases I've run across, it's always been a difference in gain or a misaligned balance control). But if you did some careful measurements with test tones and a Radio Shack SPL meter --use the same amp channel for measuring each speaker so you don't have gain differences from the electronics-- and you still found differences, I'm sure Joe would send you out a replacement driver(s).

You also may find variations in the center detents of bass and treble controls. When they're set to the "flat" position, the measured frequency response is seldom perfectly flat, unless you can switch out or bypass the controls entirely, which is a desirable feature (you can sometimes find it on some receivers; it may be called "Stereo Direct" or the like. . .).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)