Another lunch hour,...another op.-ed. piece.

Upon receiving My M60"s....began a period of intensified music listening, cd buying, and "sonic bliss".
I have also become more aware of the changes that have taken place in music itself.

Music has always been a big part of My life, from My first 45 rpm record, ("born to be wild" by Steppenwolf).... till today's cd's. I even taught Myself to play the electric guitar, emulating My heroes.

I believe music is a spiritual thing,..........food for the soul.......but,.....I have begun to think not for everyone.
The last few years, I've noticed that there weren't too many People My age in the record stores (yes I still call them that) anymore.
Apparently there were many young People "back in the day", that were in music for other reasons........maybe to follow a "trend", a pop star, or they were just looking for a good dance beat.
Anyway, it looks like they have stored away Their "picture sleeve" 45"s,.....and moved on,.........LONG ago.

It seems unfair......after all, many of those who used to "crowd" into the record stores, and whose many "pop stars" often would "crowd" more talented, songwriters and performers, off the charts.......never had their "hearts" in it.

Right around 1992,..... Rock music (My kind of rock, blues, etc.)
was......................GONE,......SHATTERED.... into, Alternative, Grunge, Rap, Hip-hop, Ska, etc.
I used to think, no matter what kind of "music" the next Generation(s) came up with,.........I would still be into the "cool stuff'.
I just can't seem to relate to much of "today's music", even though My tastes are much broader now.

I remember when "Our" music was called "LOUD noise".........now, much of it is "classic rock"....even some is now "muzak"... (I"m not sure that's a good thing).

I can't help missing "My kind of music",.......it was....... EVERYWHERE!
That style of music was the " soundtrack" for many lives..........and to this day, some songs trigger instant "memories".

As a life-long, loyal music aficionado, I do feel a bit let down.............unlike those who left music behind,....it feels like music has left ME behind.

The other day I was talking to a delivery Guy, where I work......in the background, a radio was playing a classic rock song.....................

In an "off the cuff" remark,

He said:

"I guess We'll just have to listen to these same songs....the rest of Our lives".

after Our brief conversation,....it struck me...what a profound statement!
Unknowingly, He had given the summation to the subject I have been "reflecting" on.

In the meantime, I will keep a pertinacious watch for............ rock's return.

Last edited by LT61; 11/11/04 06:28 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)