Well, I have the 2600 model, and I like it very much. BUT! Ken is right! (Had ya worried, didn't I Ken ). The guy wants you to buy it because it makes him a whole lot of money. It is more expensive than it should be, and you could get by with something that would do the job for a lot less.

If you really like the 2500, you can find it on ebay for as little as $165 plus shipping. I got my 2600 on ebay for about $225, give or take (Crap! I see it's available now for $175. DRAT! Whoops! I see the seller only has 2 feedbacks. I'll pass, thank you)

Now. All that being said, I really do like my 2600. And I consider "because I like it" to be a perfectly valid reason for purchasing anything. I do NOT fool myself into thinking it makes a difference in the way my system sounds, nor do I fool myself into thinking that I needed to spend that much in order to provide adequate protection for my system.

Here's what I like, in no particular order of importance.

1. It looks good (cool). Lots of pretty lights.
2. It has lots of inputs, 10 to be exact. (6 unswitched, 2 switched, and 2 timed) Timed inputs are great if you have a separate amp. A timed input enables you to turn on your your electronics (preamp/TV/DVD/etc) first, and then your Amp. That reverses when you're turning your equipment off. This prevents any "pops" from going to your speakers when the electronics turn on and off. I happen to have BFD between my receiver and my sub, with the sub plugged into a timed input. The BFD turns on first, and off last. No "thumps' from the subwoofer.
3. It is a GOOD surge protector, with something like $400,000 connected equipment guarantee which gives me peace of mind.

So, to me, it's worth it. But, you can get adequate protection for a whole lot less.

Some, like our own JohnK, don't believe in surge protection at all. John's philosophy is that a lightning strike that destroys your equipment is Mother Nature's way (or God's way, depending on your religious bent) of telling you it's time to upgrade.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton