I guess I just have not suffered enough recently, because I am undoubtedly going to throw gasoline on this issue.

To me, the salient question is "where is the optimal price/performance point FOR YOU?"

Axiom has been making high quality, front-firing box subwoofers for a long time (EP125, EP175, EP350). There are thousands of satisfied customers. These subs sell for $600 or less (approx).

This price category has been ruled, at least in terms of internet buzz, by SVS and Hsu offerings. Some assert that those manufacturers offer higher perceived value, partially due to their specialization in subwoofers.

Axioms new subs (EP500 and EP600) break new ground in several ways. First, and most importantly, the amplification technology is truly groundbreaking in the industry. Second, they are strategically placed to compete in the marketplace against much costlier offerings, and in a price category where Hsu has very limited products.

Now, you've GOT to ask yourself "how much sub do I need?". About six months ago, after consulting the above manufacturers, my wife and my bank account, I decided that I could not justify more than about $650 for a sub. I took as a given that the Axiom EP350, Hsu STF-3 and VTF-3, SVS PC series and SVS PB12 would all be competent. I wanted a down-firing box form factor, which eliminated the Axiom and the SVS cylinders. I want to support American manufacturing jobs, so I bought the SVS. Some people place value on different things (finish, country of origin, manufacturer, experience, tea leaves, recommendation, reviews, cycle of the moon, budget, ad infinitum).

I have my sub in a very large room (13x26 with cathedral ceilings sloping to 17', adjoining a 10x14 foyer with the full 17' ceilings, and opening to a kitchen and a hallway). It is MORE than deep enough FOR ME. It is MORE than loud enough FOR ME. I am completely satisfied. I truly have difficulty imagining how my LFE experience could be better.

In my room, would there be audible differences between a $650 sub and a $1200+ sub? Almost certainly. Would I be able to discern them? Probably. Am I willing to pay the the premium to obtain them? No.

It is similar to the budget/performance analysis journey I took with Axiom speakers in the first place. They hit my sweet spot. Other people will almost certainly chime in that their lives would be incomplete without thousands of watts of room-pressurizing, deep-excursion power, and that I am a dullard, an ignoramus or worse. Good for them, and I would be honored to share their home theatre experience some time. Perhaps it would change my life. But, in all candor, I perceive the experience in my room to be without meaningful compromise.

Good luck with your journey.

- Tom

bibere usque ad hilaritatem