In this thread a few days ago, advice was given on how to possibly prevent Norton Internet Security from interfering with posts here. I checked my software (2003 version) and didn't see the options that others mentioned. I didn't sweat it though, as I had a copy of Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2004 sitting on my desk for a month an a half waiting to be installed, so I thought I would just re-visit the website issue at that point. I bought NIS 2004 because the virus definition subscription to my 2003 software was expiring, and it was only $5 more to get the newer 2004 version of NIS with a year's subscription included than to renew the subscription for the 2003 version.

Well, yesterday I decided to install it and ran into many issues. After installation I was getting a runtime error on booting and NIS wouldn't let me even "make it active" (as opposed to disabled) because it was telling me I didn't have Administrator Privileges on my XP Pro system (of course I do; I've never had any issues with other software that is "Administrator sensitive"). Anyway, after several hours of updating definitions from the Norton website and many, many reboots, etc, I gave up and uninstalled the 2004 version to only find that the 2003 version was now giving me problems….. so I uninstalled that as well.

I'm not looking for free tech support here but have a pretty basic question:

Should I forget NIS completely and be satisfied that my router's firewall, the Windows XP firewall and Google's pop-up blocker should be sufficient in protecting my computer, or should I go out and buy a whole new Norton Suite and install it all together after uninstalling my current Norton Antivirus? I guess I'm not sure if the NIS software would really do anything for me above what MS now provides with their built-in firewall.

I'm not worried about cost; this is my main business computer and I need it to be safe…. I just want to do what's best. Any thoughts?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::