Yes, it makes sense that if I turn the sub on and set the crossover to 40z that I will lose all bass below 40hz since I am not using a sub.

What puzzles me is what is supposed to happen when the sub is set to 'Off' and a speaker (whether it be mains, center, surrounds, a combination thereof, or all) is set to small. In this scenario what dictates the crossover point for any speaker set to small? I am guessing most lower to mid-range receivers use a fixed crossover point? Perhaps if I had a more expensiver receiver/sound processor, I would be able to individually control the point at which my center and surrounds are crossed when they are set to small? I am only guessing at this point.

In any event, I tried the same DVD explosion scene at +5 with the mains set to large and the center and surrounds set to small (subwoofer off) and it did not clip.

To be honest, I prefer the sound of everything set to large (more bass sent to center and surrounds) and may use this setting for normal listening. I suppose if I ever want to show off my system by cranking some reference scene, I should probably set the center and surrounds back to small while I do that. Ummm...not that I ever plan on showing off at all...um...er..(clears throat).

I am having two guys over from work sometime next week. One owns a PSB Image series system and the other is saving up for a Def Tech system. Both are rather curious to hear Axioms. Even though they sound amazing right now, I will be sure to get them exactly dialed in with a sound meter....I have yet to do that.