I fell in love with Marissa Tomei, in My Cousin Vinnie. She DESERVED the oscar for that performance. Absolute perfection. Unfortunately she hasn't really had a role worthy of her talents since. She had a small role in "What Women Want" with mel Gibson, and showed the same magnificent spark, but she just wasn't on the screen very long.

Agree also with Annette Benning in "The American President." In the same vein, I also loved "Dave" with Kevin Kline who had the perfect role as Otto in "A Fish Called Wanda." I can still hear him calling "A**hole." .

Should I mention the obvious?
Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady;"
Robert Preston is "Music Man" or "Victor/Victoria."
Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday." (Her first movie, for cripes sake!)
Katherine Hepburn in..............oh take your pick -"African Queen," "Lion In Winter," etc., etc., etc.
Gregory Peck in "To Kill A Mockingbird."
James Cagney in "White Heat."

I have to stop now, cuz I gotta make a trip to the library. It's a good thing, or else this post would be 2 pages long. I am a consumate film buff, with particular interest in the 1930s and 1940s films. They are the ones I grew up on watching on TV in the 1950s. I still love them to this day, watch them over and over and over, and yes, Turner Classic Movies is my favorite channel.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton