Hah, thanks for the quick responses.

To deal with - as you say - the most important issues first, I'm willing to get the fiancee's OK on the placement of surrounds, if only because she's been almost completely mum about the fact that I've turned our nice living room into my personal toy room. No complaints when I jumped from a 24" SD CRT to a 46" HD DLP. Not a whisper when I moved the bookcase out to make room for the six shelf A/V rack.

I'll cut her some slack when it comes to hanging speakers to the wall. Even I'll admit that while the tower speakers are quite pretty, the QS8's leave a certain aesthetic to be desired from a decorative POV.

The shape of my room is odd, which limits my choices on placement. I think ideally I would like to wall-mount on the sides, but there isn't a heck of a lot of wall on one side, to wit (not even CLOSE to scale):

[PREVIEW EDIT] Ack! My little ASCII room plat won't render on this message board. Ah well. I'll just describe it briefly. North wall, about 18', with a door near the NW corner. East wall would be* about 12" with a window about 3' south of the NE corner. The asterisk is because at the SE corner is an alcove/bay window, a little mini-room, almost, about the size of a large coat closet. The South wall is solid, alcove in the SE corner aside. The West 12' wall is broken up by two french doors.

Sorry, this would have been a lot easier to imagine with my little image, but here goes:

The seating is *almost* against the south wall. The left surr. would theoretically go on the west wall, on the south side - south of the french doors. The trick is the right surround. I'm afraid that the putting it on the east wall would be too far forward, and that the alcove walk-in bay window in the SE corner would play havoc with the quad-directional sound.

This wasn't a problem with my old theater-in-a-box set up because the rears were truly bookshelf speakers, and I just put the right surr. on a shelf and pointed it inwards, towards the seats.

Here, I'm wondering if the stand would be the way to go, and stand it nearer to the seating area, so less sound goes wizzing around in the alcove.

It isn't an easy room.

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910