I did an extensive A/B comparision between M60s and Meadowlark Blue Heron 2s (about $12000/pair). Meadowlarks are in the same technical family as Vanderstein -- time and phase coherent.

They were magnificent. Just a three dimensional, sweet resonant, accurate sound. Not the slightest bit bright or harsh, yet not laid back either. Most listeners judged the Meadowlarks significantly better than the M60s in pure stereo.

However my Axiom 5.1 config in surround often sounded better than the Meadowlarks in down-folded stereo. Fair? All my speakers together cost less than the two Meadowlarks, so fair from that standpoint.

You could probably find factory seconds or used models for $6-7k if you look hard.

I'm still happy with my M60s, which did pretty well against these super speakers. Axiom has an amazing product. But those Meadowlarks were sweet sounding speakers. If money was no object I'd definitely have them or something similar.

There are other speakers up the food chain. If you can afford it, audition and buy wisely, there's some nice stuff. But you can also spend a lot of money and end up with less than Axiom.

Meadowlark vs Axiom